I came across this super-handy blog posting just now on how to globally set
the font size/type in IntelliJ.  It is very non-intuitive!

-------------------------------------

from:
http://www.tilcode.com/how-to-globally-change-the-font-size-in-intellij-idea/
How to globally change the font size in IntelliJ IDEAToday I learned… that
you *can* change the font size in IntelliJ IDEA across all editor tabs and
consistently! It’s not a missing feature and you don’t have to rely on the
awkward trackpad zoom feature.

Here’s how you do it (on a Mac, anyway).

Go to IntelliJ IDEA —> Preferences —> Editor —> Colors & Fonts —>Font

[image: Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.05.28 AM]
<http://www.tilcode.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Screen-Shot-2015-02-19-at-9.05.28-AM.png>

On the right, look for Scheme name.

[image: Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.04.34 AM]
<http://www.tilcode.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Screen-Shot-2015-02-19-at-9.04.34-AM.png>

Click the Save As… button and give it a unique name.

[image: Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.03.47 AM]
<http://www.tilcode.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Screen-Shot-2015-02-19-at-9.03.47-AM.png>

This step is essential! If you don’t do this step, changes you make to
Sizefurther
down won’t stick, and IntelliJ won’t tell you why. (The popup is titled
“Save Color Scheme” so it’s easy to see why users might overlook its effect
on the ability to save font size.)

Now alter the Size setting and you should see the typeface preview change
to reflect your input. Press OK and you’re done!

[image: Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 9.06.31 AM]
<http://www.tilcode.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Screen-Shot-2015-02-19-at-9.06.31-AM.png>

Googling this problem, I found some conflicting answers
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14529009/how-to-increase-code-font-size-in-intellij>
about
how to increase IntelliJ’s font size.

Many IntelliJ users recommend the “trackpad zoom” solution (which you have
to enable in Preferences —> General —> Change font size (Zoom) with
Command+ Mouse Wheel), but relying on zooming in results in a patchwork of
mismatched zoom levels across all your tabs, and you have to manually
re-zoom each tab. I wanted a consistently larger font-size across all tabs,
with no manual zoom step, and this did the trick!