Many use s3-wagon or a hosted maven. Or you could install dependencies
locally, but that's a pain. On the other hand putting AWS credentials in CI
for example to use s3-wagon can be annoying too.

What about depending on a specific git remote / commit?  This library might
be worth giving a shot: https://github.com/tobyhede/lein-git-deps