On Monday, 30 November 2015 21:49:09 UTC, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

 how to go about finding out exactly what those maps contains without
> slogging through source code.

Poke at them in the REPL! I don't think I *ever* write anything that isn't
immediately ran and inspected at the REPL. I'd say I do almost all of my
figuring out that way, with the remainder being done by looking at the
source. I don't find looking at the source such a burden for two reasons:
Cursive's jump to source is really good (and I think the same is probably
true for the other development environment's out there); and code if often
quite self contained, so you can usuallt just read the function you're
interested in, or maybe it and one or two more up the chain (which, I
think, is a product of Clojure being oriented around operations on a small
set of basic data structures, rather than each library having it's own set
of data structures to comprehend).

Of course, this leaves you vulnerable to a failure of the "worked once,
will work every time" assumption which is where I'd see many of the tools
mentioned thus far in the thread being most useful.

Jony