I'm travelling at the moment so I don't have time to respond to everything
right now, but one thing about the Java 6 issue - IntelliJ won't be fully
on Java 8 until IntelliJ 16. This means that Java 6 will be around until a)
everyone is on whatever comes after El Capitan (the last OSX to support
Apple's Java 6, which came out not long ago), or b) everyone is on IntelliJ
16, which has only just gone into beta. I support the last two major
IntelliJ versions, so that'll be another two years or so. Of course, there
may be a vanishingly small number of users still on Java 6 at that point
but that's the timeline. It's anyone's guess when a majority of OSX users
will be on JDK 8 - at some point I'll just have to say that you need to
upgrade IntelliJ if you want to use Leiningen on OSX, but that won't be for
a while yet - at least a year I guess.