> Such project obviously don't care about bug fixes and new features, since
> they are stuck with dangerously old legacy JVM versions anyways, which is
> both a security risk, a risk of added defects, and prevents usage of newer
> Java features.

Sigh.

I feel like a broken record here, but I'd like to protest again at this
characterisation. No-one cares more than me about getting off Java 6, but I
have no choice. Oracle refuse to fix serious Swing/AWT bugs in later
versions of the JVM, so many IntelliJ (and thus Cursive) users have no
choice but to use it. The situation is getting better because JetBrains
have actually forked the JDK and are working on fixing the bugs, but their
JDK still has hardware-dependent issues, and even once those are fixed
users on older versions of IntelliJ may be using Java 6 for years to come.
The issue will be forced slightly once the next version of OSX comes out
and no longer supports Apple's JDK 6, but until that point (probably two
years from now) I'm stuck with it.

The rest of your points are valid, but the situation for Cursive, at least,
is 100% Oracle's doing, and has no good solution.