> Its a fact that the JVM is not the state of the art for numerical
> computing, including big swaths of data science/machine learning. There is
> 0 chance of this changing until at least Panama and Valhalla come to
> fruition (5 year timeline).

I agree, but I would not dismiss even today's JVM (+ JNI). Python and R are
even worse in that regard, but they have a huge pie in data science, in my
opinion, because of their pragmatism. In Java land, almost all people avoid
native like the plague, while Python and R people almost exclusively use
native for number crunching while building a pleasant (to them :) user
interface around that.

I too shunned JNI as a dirty, clunky, ugly slime, and believed that pure
Java is fast enough, until I came across problems that are slow even in
native land, and take eternity in Java. And I started measuring more
diligently, and, instead of following gossip and dis-use of JNI, I took
time to learn that stuff and saw that it is not that ugly, and most of the
ugliness could be hidden from the user, so I am not that pessimistic about
JVM. It is a good mule :)