Hi Jason,

Things you might be interested in checking out:

George Jahad's CDT: https://github.com/georgejahad/cdt. It's kind of old,
but the JDI hasn't changed much recently.

There's also Ritz: https://github.com/pallet/ritz. Again, I think it's a
little bit-rotted these days but there's probably lots of good stuff there.

You might also be interested in my talk at Clojure/West last year:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql77RwhcCK0. I don't talk much about the
implementation, but I do talk a lot about what makes Clojure difficult to
debug over JDI.

Cheers,
Colin