But recur does not do that. Recur does not call a function at all. It is
the opposite of calling a function, it says “I want to loop, without the
overhead of calling a function and creating a stack frame.” Recur is even
used outside of functions entirely; it is how you iterate using the (loop
...) form, and that is almost always how I have used it.

If you want to call a different arity of your function, that has to be an
actual function call. recur is only a way to branch back to where you
started a loop, or a particular function body.