(chan 0) is not actually valid (should just be (chan)) - I have a ticket to
error on this more visibly.
http://dev.clojure.org/jira/browse/ASYNC-143

Trasducers may produce more than one value (per things like the mapcat
transducer) and thus a buffer is required so that there is somewhere to put
those values when they are produced. This is mentioned in the docstring for
chan:
http://clojure.github.io/core.async/#clojure.core.async/chan

"If a transducer is supplied a buffer must be specified."