Bumping this too. What was the context for this change? I don’t see any
JIRA tickets linked in the commits
<https://github.com/clojure/core.async/compare/07e70e47a0d2f3f6b606fe2ed3a993b83cf2c29f...503b597a46a49f7d86cfb9afbe1d92798de8e2fa>
with
a rationale for why 8 was picked as the thread pool size. This has the
potential for breaking or reducing efficiency for apps that were relying on
the 42 + 2 * cores behaviour. I’m happy that this is now configurable, but
puzzled as to why the default wasn’t kept as 42 + 2 * cores?

Also, because this needs to be passed as a java property, if we want our
applications to be able to handle differing core counts (e.g. running on
heterogenous servers) it seems like we will need to write a bash script to
calculate our threadpool size before starting up.

Perhaps I’m missing something really obvious here, if so, please let me
know :)

Tim Ewald, can you help with this?

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 9:10 AM Fluid Dynamics <a2093...@trbvm.com> wrote:

> On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 4:14:25 PM UTC-4, Alex Miller wrote:
>>
>> core.async 0.2.382 is now available.
>>
>> Try it via:  [org.clojure/core.async "0.2.382"]
>>
>> 0.2.382 includes the following changes:
>>
>> - Change default dispatch thread pool max size to 8.
>> - Add Java system property clojure.core.async.pool-size to override the
>> dispatch thread pool max size
>>

> Why 8, rather than, say, (.availableProcessors (Runtime/getRuntime))?

—
Daniel