> On Saturday, September 17, 2016 at 4:32:39 AM UTC+6, Michael Ball wrote:
>>

>> - Explicit docs/instructions on how to start and connect to the repl
>> would be good. I was able to get it connected but it was unclear if the
>> repl should be started from within VS code, or from a terminal then only
>> connect to it from VS code.
>>

> The instructions can be found in the "How to Use?" section of readme file.
> Not sure I understand your point about where the repl should be started. Do
> you mean you mean you expected repl will be run by VSCode on connect like
> it happens in Emacs?

Yes, in LightTable and Cider generally the repl is started up from within
the editor, and it was unclear if there was an editor action that would do
this, or if the repl needed to be started in a terminal, then connected to.

- Docstrings don't seem to work for thread first  (-> xxx)? I also noticed
>> that it took some time after initial repl connect for the docstrings to
>> become available, probably some indexing delay because my laptop is
>> old+slow, initially they showed "Docstring not found". Also the docstring
>> not found message pops up for all characters on hover of mouse over things
>> such as parenthesis.
>>

> You're right about the thread first docstring. It looks like I need to
> adjust the regex for finding Clojure words. Will fix it soon.
>
> About docstrings. There shouldn't be snoticable time between pointing a
> thing and getting its documentation. However, the is a subtly aspect you
> should be aware of. If you have a namespace definition in the beginning of
> a file you should eval the file first. Say, you have a file with the
> following content:
>
> (ns foo)
>
> (println "Hello World")
>
>  When you point println you won't see the docstring. The reason is the
> extension sends the following message to the repl: "Give me a docstring for
> the function println from foo namespace." But at the moment repl *know
> nothing *about foo namespace! So you neen to eval the file. This will
> result adding foo namespace to the repl and importing everything from
> clojure.core namespace to it (this is a sideeffect of ns macro). I believe,
> this is the common behaviour for all solutions based on cider-nrepl (I've
> checked it is true for Emacs Cider and Vim Fireplace). Though I admit it's
> not the most intuitive one. So I'm open to suggestions.

Ah, you're probably right on the eval. Also was thinking that perhaps
doc-string could/should be shown on a keystroke instead of mouse-over?

> - If I had one feature request it would be for inline results a-la
>> LightTable. Any plans for something like that?
>>

> It's definetly a useful feature and I can add it easily. The only thing
> I'm not sure about is where to show an evaluation result :) Do you have any
> ideas. Maybe you've seen the similar feature in other VSCode plugins and
> know how to do it right?

I don't know if there's a really good way to do it right now, but in some
very timely news just this morning a feature got some attention and we
hopefully should see it in October. Probably should watch this issue and
then use whatever they come up with. You could comment on that issue with
your use case as jrieken requested.

https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/3220#issuecomment-248040912

You might also have look at LightTable(my personal favorite for inline
results), and atom proto-repl for ideas on how to add inline results. In
proto-repl, I have to admit for larger data-structures, the expandable
data-structure inspector looks pretty nice.
https://atom.io/packages/proto-repl