On Thursday, October 6, 2016 at 4:39:43 PM UTC-5, Xman wrote:

> It's been many years of postponing learning programming, because I
> considered the popular languages of that time not right.

It's been my experience that there are no "right languages." They all have
major flaws. No matter what, when you really dig into
one, you'll hit "I really wish I could..." itches.

Any lisp, by its nature, makes those itches easier to scratch. But there's
always something. That's part of what makes this such a fascinating and
exciting field of knowledge.

> It took me nearly 3 years to learn and build a website using another stack
> (I wont advertise here),

Congratulations!

Having built something puts you far ahead of most people. It doesn't matter
how you did it. The fact that you did is something to be proud of.

> and without having much previous knowledge in programming.

I think the old Nike slogan fits well here: just do it.

>  I have not deployed the website yet.
> I would like to know if Clojure is a great option to make websites ?

I think that others have addressed this particular question very well.

I think your subject question was more interesting (though others have also
done a great job addressing it):

> Should I switch to Clojure after 3 years of learning another full stack ?

This is the sort of question that you will always have to answer for
yourself.

Are there good reasons for learning clojure?

Absolutely.

Are there good reasons for learning any other technology that's also been
mentioned in this thread?

Absolutely.

Are any of those reasons good enough for you to dedicate your valuable time
to learning them?

No one but you can make that decision. Or, really, even know what your
pros/cons are.

I think it's probably safe for me to recommend that you shouldn't translate
your existing
site/app to a new technology until/unless the current one has proved that
it really won't
work. And, even then, there's a good chance you could find someone to help
you figure
out how to make it work well in whatever language you started with.

(It would probably be stronger/lighter/faster/more ductile/less tough if
you'd written it it clojure
in the first place, but working code beats "probably" every time).

> I found out that there are new features on the web that Clojure is better
> for, but I don't use those features in the present.

Are you sure about that?

There are a lot of really nice features that have been built into clojure.
Most useful programs in other languages have to find ways to work around
them.

If your website works fine, then there probably isn't a good reason to
switch it over.

You can do that while also learning clojure. It's perfectly fine (and,
honestly, pretty good) to be multi-lingual.

If that's your cup of tea, of course. If learning one programming language
was all you care about, that's perfectly fine!

But, honestly, it sounds to me like you're poking around at the idea of
learning another. Which is pretty
cool too. Actually, it's a lot of fun. If you're into that sort of thing,
it can turn into a good career.

But maybe you're past the whole "career" thing and just looking for ways to
amuse yourself as an alternative to
doing crossword puzzles now that you're retired.

If you're interested in the craft of programming, clojure really is a good
one to learn.

Then again, so are languages like python and ruby and C# (and a slew of
others).

Take your pick.

These days, C and javascript are the 900 pound gorillas. If you want to get
into nitty-gritty, or you're doing something very simple,
they're good choices. I personally think there's more black voodoo magic
there than craft, but black voodoo magic has its place
too.

> When I choose to learn a language I decide by myself, and after listening
> to a video talk, it gives me reasons to think that its better.

I hate to go to absolutes, but there's very rarely a blanket "better" in
any aspect of engineering. Listening to a talk can
be great, but...that's honestly just the marketing pitch.

This gets into personal motivations, so it doesn't really have any place in
a technical discussion list. But that's really what
the talks are all about.

Do the ideas resonate enough with you to convince you to dedicate the time
that it takes to learn a language?

It took years for clojure to convince me to make a serious investment in it.

Maybe it never will for you. Again: there's nothing wrong with that.

> I want to learn the language and "frameworks" (or how to create the
> architecture) much quicker than previous attempt.

This is up to you.

Odds are, it should be faster.

But that depends on how much difference you're trying to manage.

Personally, I've never been able to make sense out of perl.

I know people who use it to do things that seem magical to me. So I keep
trying to find time to do the same.

But, really, this is up to you.

A second programming language usually makes more sense than the first.

I think that it's a lot like learning French if you already know Spanish.
But I only know the theory on this part of it.

> I'd like to know if its possible to do that in less than 6 months or if I
> should stay with the framework I know ?

Since you've cared enough to ask: go ahead and try learning another
language. Just pick one.
See where it goes.

(It's absolutely *possible* to learn it in less that 6 months...but that
mostly depends on your motivation)