graphql-clj library tries to support both Clojure 1.9 and 1.8.

The way it does:

Library use Clojure 1.9 as dependency.

For project uses Clojure 1.8 and depends on graphql-clj, it has a few

1. Don't use the namespace with clojure.spec

or

2. Add https://github.com/tonsky/clojure-future-spec as dependency,
clojure.spec backport will be available.

Caveat: For some new functions introduced in clojure.core 1.9, simply
copied those functions to library.

You can find more detail in https://github.com/tendant/graphql-clj/pull/32