I know some of you will tell me that I shouldn't use try/catch for control
flow. That is fine. I might redo this. But for now, I'd like to simply know
why this doesn't work. I have this function:

(defn start []
  (let [filenames-as-seq-of-strings (.list (io/file
"/home/ec2-user/uploads/"))]
    (doseq [f filenames-as-seq-of-strings]
      (println "in file_converter.start, the file is " (str f))
      (spit  (str "/home/ec2-user/converted_csv_files/" f ".csv") " ")
      (let [input-file (java.io.File. (str "/home/ec2-user/uploads/" f))

            output-file (java.io.File. (str
"/home/ec2-user/converted_csv_files/" f ".csv"))]
            (try
              (xls/convert input-file output-file)
              (catch Exception e
                (println e)
                (xlsx/convert input-file output-file)))))))

Given some Microsoft Excel files, I first try to parse them as xls files,
and if that doesn't work, then in the catch block I would like to try to
parse them xlsx files.

If I run this app in the terminal with "java -jar" I see the exception as I
expect. But this line never seems to get called:

                (xlsx/convert input-file output-file)

This convert function starts with:

(defn convert
  "Stealing code from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31873931/java-lang-outofmemoryerror-gc-overhead-limit-exceeded-when-loading-an-xlsx-file";
  [^java.io.File input-file ^java.io.File output-file]
   (println "at the start of xlsx")

But I never see that println in the terminal.

Why not?