I got curious, think I found a way to get closer to the macro. Only does
element contruction no attributes are set except id/className but that happens
later anyways.

Uses element.cloneNode
https://gist.github.com/thheller/7faf1c28ca14c9865376

See the related js-perf (not by me)
http://jsperf.com/clonenode-vs-createelement-performance/32

I reused your parse-keyword function but wrapped into a memoize (well not
memoize, but as low level as possible) and did a little benchmark.

PARSE: 782.984ms
CLONE: 141.103ms

Looked nice, altough I did only test Chrome on my Mac. Results probably vary on
every system but looks like a 4-5x speedup.

Cheers,
/thomas