On March 3, 2015, Peter West wrote:
> Macros eventually all expand to CLJS-compatible code.
> Currently, IIUC, both macro definition and expansion are
> handled by the Clojure compiler, with the resulting code
> (presumably CLJS compatible) being handed back to the
> ClojureScript compiler. Was this simply a convenience to
> get CLJS working with a minimum of fuss, or are there some
> structural impediments?

Mostly, I think, it was the quickest path to bootstrap the
ClojureScript compiler. Clojure already had a reader and
macro expander, so ClojureScript used them.

In Rich Hickey's original design, ClojureScript was not
intended to be self-hosting without the JVM. The past few
years of work have brought ClojureScript closer to the
*possibility* of self-hosting, but it hasn't been a priority
for most of the major contributors.

-S