Probably, although I wouldn't blame you - I've not used them myself outside
of toy projects (and that was some time ago now).

Not necessarily hardware design - they're apparently quite common in
microcontroller programming too.

They seem like a good natural fit for these kinds of applications (the
hardware is in "waiting for a command" state; the game character is in
"search for player" state, ...) and probably not such a neat fit for, say,
serving templated HTML and what the article says does feel rather true to
me (and probably why I haven't tried it yet either): it is a lot of work to
get started. But, as is being discussed in this thread, it does seem like
it may be worthwhile and its definitely worth exploring more, especially if
we can figure out a way to reduce the initial learning curve.