On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 4:05:04 PM UTC+6, Scott Klarenbach wrote:
> On Thursday, April 24, 2014 at 11:18:06 PM UTC-7, Nikita Prokopov wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I’m glad to announce my new library, DataScript.
> >
> > It’s an open-source, from-the-scratch implementation of in-memory immutable
> > database aimed at ClojureScript with API and data model designed after
> > Datomic. Full-featured Datalog queries included.
> >
> > Library is here: https://github.com/tonsky/datascript
> >
> > Also check out this blog post about why you may need a database in a
> > browser: http://tonsky.me/blog/decomposing-web-app-development/
> >
> > Feedback welcome!
>
> Hello,
>
> Very helpful library Nikita.
>
> I wonder what would be required to enable datascript to act more like a
> datomic peer, which holds, say, part of the db in browser memory, and then
> goes back to the server to fetch new segments if it can't serve the query
> from browser cache.  Older entries in the cache get gc'd and the system can
> operate on dbs of any size.
>
> I realize this wasn't a design goal of datascript, and am just looking for
> insights into how it might be possible.  I guess a more fundamental question
> is: how does a datomic peer know when the segments to complete its query are
> not present in cache?  And can we emulate this in datascript?

Requesting segments on-demand is, in theory, possible. DataScript is written to
support queries over data source protocol, which can be a DB (we can then
utilize indexes), collection (full scans) or something user-specific. I don’t
have working example of that at the moment, but from design perspective,
plugging in custom data source with, e.g., on-demand segment loader, is
possible.