The :context basically tells the compiler if the return value is required
(:statement vs. :expr). A :statement does not need to return something and "if"
in javascript does not return something.

If an "if" is compiled with :expr it generates  (condition ? yes : no) instead
of "if" for :statement.

The compiler assumes :statement as the default for the top-level but when
working with a REPL that is not the case since you want the result, so :expr
must be set. The standard cljs repl wraps everything in a pr-str so that
problem does not show there.

Hope that made sense, but no it is not a bug.

Cheers,
/thomas