goog.string.format definitely still exists:
http://google.github.io/closure-library/api/goog.string.format.html

goog.string also has many specialized formatting functions. For example, for
leading zeros, use goog.string/padNumber:

http://google.github.io/closure-library/api/goog.string.html#padNumber