As described in the section headed "Browser repl" of Quickstart the
repl.clj file doesn't contain any ns clause and is located in the project
directory. I can build the repl with

java --add-modules java.xml.bind -cp cljs.jar:src clojure.main repl.clj

instead of

java -cp cljs.jar:src clojure.main repl.clj

as described in the Quickstart, because of Java 9 incompatibility of
ClojureScript. The hint I got from Thomas Heller.

In the section headed "Leiningen" Quickstart says
"All the commands above may be executed with the run feature of Leiningen.
But as described
lein run -m clojure.main repl.clj
doesn't work. My assumption is that the Java 9 incompatibility is the
problem again.
Maybe I am wrong.

Johannes