It depends on the namespaces used. In general a CLJS namespaces can only be
compiled once all its dependencies have been compiled. So if those
dependendencies can be compiled in parallel they will use multiple threads
from a pool, which should keep all cores busy. In my experience a good
balance between core count and core speed matters. If you have big
namespaces that a lot of other namespaces depend on (eg. like cljs.core)
then its compilation will "block" all other threads so its important it
finishes fast (ie. fast cores). If you have lots a small namespaces that
are mostly independent then you can get maximum parallelization (ie. many
cores).

I have a i7-8700K 6c and there are builds that aren't able to use all cores
due to the namespace setup (few very large ones). Others happily use
everything. Single core difference is gigantic to my previous CPU from a
macbook pro 2016.

If you really really want to torture your CPU you can try
https://github.com/mfikes/fifth-postulate or
https://github.com/mfikes/coal-mine to compare.

HTH,
Thomas