I'm assuming you are trying a .js file that has

   import React from "react";

This would try to access the default export of react. Since react only
ships CommonJS it has no default export. CommonJS and ESM interop is in a
weird spot currently and a bit ugly.

  import * as React from "react";

This should be fine.