On Fri, 2024-04-05 at 11:47 -0700, Jon Forrest wrote:
> For reasons that are too sad to describe, I need to run Clonezilla
> on an old (e.g. 10.04) running Ubuntu system. The disk I need
> to clone is *not* used for the system so I don't have to worry
> about those issues, and I'd like to do this without taking down
> the server.
>
> I tried
>
>         # apt-get install clonezilla
>
> but I got
>
>         E: Couldn't find package clonezilla
>
> This is no surprise given the age of this system.
>
> I tried downloading Clonezilla from https://clonezilla.org/
> but the only options I see are to download an .iso or a
> .zip. I tried the .zip, hoping I'd find the Clonezilla
> executable to I could copy to the running system.
> But, I didn't find any such thing.
>
> Any ideas where I could find a clonezilla .deb for
> the lucid release of Ubuntu? I tried looking at
> the Ubuntu repositories but I don't know how
> to navigate them.
>
> Cordially,
> Jon Forrest

Hi Jon!

Please forgive me if I am being presumptuous for replying to your
query.

May I ask why you do not want to "take down the server"?

If you can possibly take down the server, then booting into Clonezilla
Live should work well (but practice first if you have never used it
before!).

I have used Clonezilla Live for years to copy partitions and entire
(non-running) systems without any problems. Works fine for me.

But I have never even tried to use it on a running system (i.e., your
Ubuntu install). And do not intend to do so. So it may not work, and
might make things worse.

Both clonezilla and partclone .debs do appear to be in the Debian 12
Stable repositories:

sudo aptitude show clonezilla
Package: clonezilla
Version: 5.3.17-2
State: not installed
Section: admin
Maintainer: Georges Khaznadar <georg...@debian.org>
Architecture: all
Uncompressed Size: 3,507 k
Depends: drbl (> 2.30.5-1~), file, pigz, gdisk, bc, dialog, fdisk |
util-linux (< 2.29.2-3~),
         e2fsprogs
Recommends: partclone, partimage
Suggests: openssh-client, cifs-utils, udpcast, sshfs
 Clonezilla is an OpenSource clone system (OCS) solution with
unicasting and multicasting.

 Clonezilla, based on drbl, partclone and udpcast, allows you to do
bare metal backup and
 recovery. This package provides Clonezilla SE (server edition) which
is for massive deployment:
 it can clone many (40 plus!) computers simultaneously.

 Clonezilla saves and restores only used blocks in the harddisk. This
increases the clone
 efficiency. At the NCHC's Classroom C, Clonezilla SE was used to clone
41 computers
 simultaneously. It took only about 10 minutes to clone a 5.6 GBytes
system image to all 41
 computers via multicasting.
Homepage: https://clonezilla.org
Tags: admin::backup, admin::filesystem, admin::recovery,
hardware::storage,
      implemented-in::shell, interface::commandline, role::program,
scope::utility,
      use::storing, works-with::archive

AND:

sudo aptitude show partclone
Package: partclone
Version: 0.3.23+repack-1
State: not installed
 Partclone is a project like the well-known backup utility "Partition
Image" a.k.a. partimage.

 Partclone provides utilities to back up used blocks and design for
highest compatibility with
 file system using supported libraries like e2fslibs.

 check the project website for more details http://partclone.org
Homepage: http://partclone.org/
Tags: admin::backup, admin::filesystem, admin::recovery,
hardware::storage, implemented-in::c,
      interface::commandline, role::program, scope::utility,
uitoolkit::ncurses

I have never used either.

I don't know if they would work in Ubuntu, and trying to do so is NOT
recommended.

Finally - never listen to anything I say about anything! ("If it
breaks, you get to keep both pieces!")