During the flurry of activity we had recently in diagnosing and fixing
problems with the shared ToolsDB MariaDB service [0], we made a
configuration change to place a hard limit on the maximum number of
simultaneous connections permitted for each user account [1][2].

The current limit is set at 20 concurrent connections. This should not
cause any problems for a typical webservice or single script using
ToolsDB, but tools making heavy use of ToolsDB may need to make some
adjustments.

As always, tool maintainers can seek advice on dealing with this limit
or other issues in Toolforge from the Toolforge administration team
and others in the community via our Freenode IRC channel
(#wikimedia-cloud), Phabricator tasks, and the
cl...@lists.wikimedia.org mailing list.

[0]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216208
[1]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T216170
[2]:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/server-system-variables/#max_user_connections

Bryan, on behalf of the Toolforge administration team
--
Bryan Davis              Wikimedia Foundation    <bd...@wikimedia.org>
[[m:User:BDavis_(WMF)]] Manager, Technical Engagement    Boise, ID USA