TL;DR: If you start to notice new or noisy puppet failures on your VMs, please notify me directly or open a phab ticket and assign it to me (Andrew).

==

What's happening:

Over the last few weeks I've been upgrading cloud-vps puppet servers to newer builds that support the latest version of the puppet config language, version 7. That's done for almost all cases; there are a few project-local puppetmasters that I've been nervous about messing with directly; in those cases I've opened phabricator tickets and assigned them to project admins. For clarity, I've been using 'puppetserver' terminology for new servers, whereas older servers were generally called 'puppetmasters.' [0]

Now that most servers are upgraded, it's time for me to flip the setting that causes them to actually use the version 7 parser and compiler. In almost all cases this will be backwards-compatible with the existing catalogs but we may turn up a few edge cases that require repair.

What you need to do:

If you have one of those phab tickets about puppetservers open for your project, please respond on the ticket so I know you're there and know what your plan is.

All other users, please reach out to me if you start seeing new or surprising puppet failures and I'll help sort out the transition.

-Andrew

[0] https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Project_puppetserver