On 2012-10-11 13:54, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 01:48:29PM -0700, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
why fedora ec2-image doesn't have a swap ?
The standard in EC2 is to use ephemeral storage for swap.
Unfortunately, different instance types put their ephemeral storage in
different places, and some have none at all, so I suggest using a
script to manage swap space as the instance starts.  You can do this
by uploading a script as the instance's user data:
euca-run-instances ami-2ea50247 ... --user-data-file=some-shell-script.sh

Hmmm. Can we include that to make things nicer?

Sure, if someone can figure out how to do that reliably. We can certainly try to guess, but the location of the ephemeral storage is going to change based on both the instance type and where the user asks EC2 to put it. t1.micro instances aren't entitled to any ephemeral storage at all, and other EBS instances don't get any either unless the user explicitly asks EC2 for it. And that's just Amazon's cloud.

(I was just noticing that the kickstart puts /dev/xvda3 as swap in fstab on
i386 only, so we're already halfway trying to do something conditional.)

Using /dev/xvda3 for swap space used to be the standard on 32-bit m1.small instances when those instances were backed by instance storage. It probably still is, too, but we don't publish those images any more anyway.

I'm not saying that what you're suggesting can't be done; it's just not as simple to make it "just work" everywhere as it first appears. Anyone up to the challenge? ;-)

--
Garrett Holmstrom