Hello,

upon request at Czech Wikipedia's helpdesk I created a tool that sends
notifications about new weekly articles by e-mail together with its first
paragraph and link to it. To accomplish such a thing I need user's email,
so I firstly decided to store it in a database. To prevent this tool from
spamming I of course require its confirmation by accessing an URL with a
random string (MD5 hash of user's email *and* random number from 1 to 100;
I mean, those two things are in one hash). You can have a look at this tool
at tools.wmflabs.org/wiki2email/.

My question is: Is this okay? Should I add some kind of formal information
to the tool? If so, is there some help page? Should I stop with collecting
mails at all and use some WMF-maintained service for mass-emailing (mailman
at lists.wikimedia.org maybe?) and make the tool to just send an email to
the list itself?

This question came to my mind before creating, so I do appologize for
asking after programming.

Best regards,
Martin Urbanec
--