On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 11:56 PM Ле Лой <kf8.wikipe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since we are talking about this, I've been meaning to ask. I run a build
> on bastion from time to time when I need to deploy a new version (npm
> run build). Is there a better way of doing this? Should I try to run the
> build on the grid?.. It's not a periodical task, I just run it manually
> maybe once a week and it lasts for 2-3 minutes. Please advise.

If your tool is running on Kubernetes normally (`webservice
--backend=kubernetes ...` or via a custom deployment), then using
`webservice --backend-kubernetes [type] shell` to get an interactive
shell that is actually using compute resources from the Kubernetes
cluster is better than running on the bastion directly.

If your tool is running on the job grid normally and can run the build
as a grid job, please do.

To run an IO intensive process that needs interaction, you can use
dev.tools.wmflabs.org [0] as your bastion. This is functionally the
same experience as running commands directly on
login.tools.wmflabs.org, but this server is intended for use by folks
who are doing heavier interactive work and will not interfere with the
larger number of folks who are using the "main" bastion.

[0]:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Portal:Toolforge/About_Toolforge#Bastion_hosts

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Technical Engagement      Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer                               Boise, ID USA