On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 6:13 AM Dirk Hünniger via Cloud
<cloud@lists.wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am running a rendering service for converting wiki articles to
> downloadable formates
>
> https://mediawiki2latex.wmflabs.org/
>
> I can log into the machine via ssh. But I cannot access the horizon
> administration web interface anymore. After some research I found out
> that is because of my last name Hünniger which contains the Umlaut ü. It
> has been suggested that I create a new account call "Dirk Huenniger" and
> transfer the administration rights for the mediawiki2latex project on
> horizon to this new account. Is this a good idea? And if so what are the
> steps I need to take in order to reach that? Currently I do not really
> need to horizon web interface, but the current situation is a thread for
> the long term stability of the mediawik2latex web service.

The Cloud Services team believes that this bug has been fixed since
2019-12-23 [0]. This authentication problem was caused by a buggy LDAP
library integration in OpenStack. We "fixed" the problem for the
Wikitech wiki by removing legacy OpenStack integration there. The
problem was fixed more correctly for Horizon by backporting a newer
python-ldap library which does not have the same unicode handling
issues.

If you are still unable to authenticate to Horizon, please do open a
new Phabricator task giving as many details as you can about the issue
and we will try to find a solution.

[0]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T229227

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis              Technical Engagement      Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer                               Boise, ID USA