It would be really good if the bastions could be updated to something more
modern, so we could have a uniform python infrastructure everywhere.  I think I
once opened a phab ticket for this, which was closed as some variation on
infeasible.

I ran into exactly the issue described below myself.  After trying a bunch of
various workarounds, I ended up building my own python 3.7 from source.  That's
suboptimal in so many ways, but it was the only way I could find to get a
consistent setup between my test/dev environment on the bastion and my
production environment on kubernetes.

At some point, this is going to become a more acute problem, since 3.5 is
officially end-of-life.