Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to run that down for me!

I'm kind of surprised anybody would want to turn that off
<https://github.com/kubernetes/ingress-nginx/issues/2546>  it's an incredibly
useful feature.  In every implementation of things like this that I've seen,
the actual value is opaque, and if an earlier layer has added it, you just pass
along the pre-existing value.  Kubernetes does have a way of bending
assumptions about how the universe works, however :-)

So, based on what you said, I'm going to assume it's not guaranteed to be
there.  I'm using django-log-request-id
<https://github.com/dabapps/django-log-request-id>, which handles either case
automatically, so turns out to be kind of a non-issue whether it is or not.

BTW, I implemented something like this years ago in haproxy
(https://github.com/roysmith/haproxy-xuri
<https://github.com/roysmith/haproxy-xuri>).  The haproxy folks didn't pick up
my patch, but I see they did eventually implement their own version.