A little late to the party, I just learned about this change today.

I maintain a number of bot tasks
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:FastilyBot> and database
<https://fastilybot-reports.toolforge.org> reports
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports> on enwp that
rely on cross-wiki joins (mostly page title joins between enwp and Commons)
to function properly.  I didn't find the migration instructions
<https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=News/Wiki_Replicas_2020_Redesign&oldid=1905818#How_do_I_cross_reference_data_between_wikis_like_I_do_with_cross_joins_today?>
very helpful; I run FastilyBot on a Raspberry Pi, and needless to say it
would be grossly impractical for me to perform a "join" in the bot's code.

Is there going to be a replacement for this functionality?

Fastily