On 9/28/21 8:42 PM, Roy Smith wrote:
Also, please note, I'm just speaking as a Toolforge user. I can't promise what the folks who run Toolforge think about this.  They haven't told me I can't do it, but I don't know if they're totally on board with the idea.

I certainly don't like the manual work and duplication between tools involved with it, but at the same time as long as you're compiling it as a grid job (and not on a bastion) I can't quickly think of any ways this would be actively harmful to other tools. (standard disclaimer: I'm not speaking on behalf of other roots here, it's possible that I'm forgetting something.)

Having said that, we're hoping to completely move everything to Kubernetes in the next few years and completely decommission the grid. Among other benefits, this lets us release new containers with newer runtimes much faster than the grid allows, currently we pretty much track newest Debian releases (the grid is oldoldstable at this point) which includes Python 3.9 and others.

Tooling for non-webservices is still lacking, but if you want you can try out a beta version of the new "Toolforge Jobs framework". It still likely has some bugs and missing features, but the basics do usually work. The details are on Phabricator: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T285944>

Taavi