Hi,
Yes that is correct but given the size these tables and the databases (for s4,
see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T343131) we don't really have a choice in
this specific case, Commons has grown to 1.8TB already. My apologies for the
inconvenience.

One thing that help here is that s3 and s5 include almost all small wikis, so
you need to use the old way for the list of thirty-ish wikis (s1, s2, s6, s7,
s8) and for any wiki not a member of that, you can just switch to the new
system. I know it's not perfect but given the size this table has grown into,
we can't do much (and that's why this work is being done in the first place)

HTH and my apologies.