On Aug 10, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 10/08/2012, at 6:33 PM, Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl> wrote:
>
>> I can think of a legitimate reason for having webmaster@ and security@, but
>> where do we forward them? What do we do with them if the people who it gets
>> forwarded to are on vacation?
>>

> I don't know if webmaster would be useful any more (maybe just forward to the
> PPMC?).

Yea…. in general, if there are general content or formatting issues with the
cloudstack website, we'd prefer they send a note to the dev list or something
(with a patch.  :-)  ).   If it's more severe than that (like the site is
down), there isn't anything the PMC can do anyway and most likely
infrastructure already knows about it due to the monitoring stuff they have
running.

> For security, see [1]. The ASF has a dedicated security team for facilitating
> correct handling of vulnerabilities. Vulnerabilities can be sent directly to
> them (and they'll engage the PPMC privately, which is what most projects do),
> or you can have a separate security list (if that group of people differs
> from the PPMC - see [2]). If there is a separate list, security@ is
> automatically copied, so someone is always able to respond to a report in a
> timely manner.

As someone that is involved with a couple projects that have gotten several
security issues reported in the last few months (CVE level issues), I would
suggest just starting with the normal security@a.o address and let them forward
to the PPMC.   One thing about the security@ addresses is that they DON'T run
the spam filters on them to make sure nothing is lost.  Thus, there is a lot of
noise.    If you can let the security team filter through that and then forward
along the real issues to the PMC, that can be a big help.   If the volume gets
high or you need a specific subset of the PMC to be involved in security
issues, a separate list can be setup, but I would suggest waiting until there
really is a need for that.  (unless you really do like reading through spam…..)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dk...@apache.org - http://dankulp.com/blog