On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:02 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by the LICENSE and NOTICE files that are in the root of
> the package.
>
> They seem to be LICENSE/NOTICE files that would be good for a binary
> distribution of Cloudstack built from this package, but don't really apply to
> this package.  Or maybe they were from before the dep jars were changed to be
> grabbed via maven and were part of the src.    Right?
>
> The license file lists license for jars in lib and aws and such that don't
> exist.   Likewise for the NOTICE file.
>
> Don't get me wrong.  I think these LICENSE/NOTICE files are great to have for
> people that are building binary distributions of Cloudstack and having that
> information available to them certainly takes much of the burden off of them,
> but I do question if they are appropriate for the Apache source based
> releases.
>

> Dan

Dan,

Yes, the jars referenced in the legal docs are pulled in by the
packaging process.  The expectation was that the material would be
brought into any packaging (including the non-asf, but community
provided, deb/rpm's).  When looking for examples from other ASF
projects, IIRC I saw both approaches (I'll have to dig a bit to find
the examples that I was looking at).  At one point, I had a "*_BINARY"
version of both files and the standard files for the source itself,
but I then decided to simplify into a single set that would work for
both situations.

So I guess the question is this: is this an acceptable approach or not?

-chip