On Dec 14, 2012, at 7:36 PM, Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Chiradeep Vittal
> <chiradeep.vit...@citrix.com> wrote:
>> On 12/12/12 6:30 PM, "Chip Childers" <chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:
>>> 2.1. Users
>>>
>>> The most important participants in the project are people who use our
>>> software. Users contribute to the Apache projects by providing
>>> feedback to developers in the form of bug reports and feature
>>> suggestions. As well, users participate in the Apache community by
>>> helping other users on mailing lists and user support forums.
>>
>> There are users of CloudStack-derived products (e.g., users of commercial
>> distributions).
>> Their feedback may arrive in the form of feature proposals from product
>> managers of those
>> commercial distributions. This is valuable to the project. I feel that
>> this kind of contribution needs to be welcomed and acknowledged.
>>

> Sebastian and I had discussed removing the "users" role entirely, and
> recognizing that users are contributors to the project if they
> interact with this community.  I understand your point about users of
> a downstream project being part of the overall community, but for the
> purpose of the project's bylaws I believe that they have to interact
> with this community directly and as individuals to be considered a
> contributor.  Does this make sense to you?

Let me clarify that I would love to have users on there. But I would like to
see a clear role/responsibilities so that a user can see how his involvement
can impact the project. The way it stood "pure" users would not be able to
"make" it to the PMC.

Joe proposed something. Maybe something like the following could also work:

"Users who participate in the cloudstack-users mailing list, help other users,
file bugs and feature requests are considered contributors.
The project sees the contributions as key driver to the health of the community"

-Sebastien