From: Sateesh Chodapuneedi [mailto:sateesh.chodapune...@citrix.com]
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 2:41 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [ASF41][DISCUSS] Adding support for VMware dvSwitch

Hi,

I am planning to work on enabling support for VMware native dvSwitch in
CloudStack. Filed a jira ticket for it, see [1].

Integration of VMware dvSwitch with CloudStack enables orchestration of virtual
networks in VMware environment over distributed virtual switch inside vCenter.

Background

-----------

VMware Distributed Switch is an aggregation of per-host virtual switches
presented and controlled as a single distributed switch through vCenter Server
at the Datacenter level. vDS abstracts configuration of individual virtual
switches and enables centralized provisioning, administration, and monitoring.

vDS is integral component of vCenter. Hence the native vDS support makes sense
for wider and larger deployments of Cloudstack over vSphere.

Each Standard vSwitch represents an independent point of configuration that
needs to be managed and monitored. The management of virtual networks required
by instances in the cloud is tedious when virtual networks have to span across
large number of hosts. Using distributed vSwitch (vDS) simplifies the
configuration and monitoring.

Being standalone implementations, standard vSwitches do not provide any support
for virtual machine mobility. So there needed a component  to ensure that the
network configurations on the source and the destination virtual switch are
consistent and will allow the VM to operate without breaking connectivity or
network policies. Particularly during migration of VM across hosts, the sync up
among peers need to be taken care.  However in case of distributed vSwitch
during VMotion, the vCenter server, would update the vSwitch modules on the
hosts in cluster accordingly.

I'll share an FS for this in the next few days.

Please do let me know your thoughts/concerns.

[1] CLOUDSTACK-657 - "VMware vNetwork Distributed Virtual Switch support in
CloudStack"

Regards,

Sateesh