On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 09:16:36AM -0500, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2013, at 1:37 PM, Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 02:38:27PM -0800, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> >> John, I agree we need to merge in logical chunks sooner rather than later
> >> that allows for reviews and feedback sooner.
> >>
> >> Chip I can take the first stab at putting this in a wiki but would require
> >> collaboration with you and Alex  to get it crisp and clear
> >
> > That would be quite nice of you Animesh!
>
> I just read it all and there does not seem to be a real conclusion especially
> from David's concerns.
>
> How do we move forward and ensure that the entire community and committers
> understand how code is developed in the ASF ?
> Is this thread a mandatory reading for instance ?
>
> -Sebastien

Part of the challenge is that this is a moving target...  who exactly is
"in the community" at any point in time is different as time moves on.
So we're left with thinking about it in terms of (1) current community
members being educated, (2) ongoing education and processes, and (3)
documenting it for the purpose of reference as the community grows / evolves.

The reason that we decided to push this thread over from private to dev,
was specifically to support (1) and (3).  For (1), we now have a public
reference of the discussion, as well as the effects of it having been quite
visible (see all the IP clearance threads / work).  For (2), this is the
responsibility of the community itself (and specifically a
responsibility of the (P)PMC to keep an eye on things).  We do need to
continue to work on our processes though...  As for (3), this thread
plus a wiki page discussing how and why (which Animesh said he'd work
on) seem to be the best option.

Other than the points above, do you have any other thoughts about how to
move forward?  Think I'm missing anything?

-chip