It just depends. A VM will generally be tied to a cluster. There's
technically no reason why someone couldn't make a giant cluster if your
storage supports it, so on that side cluster based seems fine. But if you
end up wanting to move a data disk from one VM to another, and they happen
to be in different clusters, that's expensive if you don't have zone-wide
storage. Usually involves dumping and reimporting, and if the same San is
hosting multiple clusters it may seem silly to dump and copy back to the
same San just so that the disk is associated with another cluster.