VMware API is web-service based, how a web service fault class is mapped
to a java class is determined by the underlying web-service tool.

In vSphere 4.0/4.1 SDK, it uses Axis 1.4, all web server fault class is
derived from org.apache.axis.AxisFault which in turn derives from java
Exception class.

for vSphere 5.1 SDK as Min just pointed, it derives from other class.

Please pay attention, Although there is "RunTime" in the word of
RuntimeFault, it does not necessarily be mapped to a Java RuntimeException
class, in both 4.1/5.1 VMWare sdk, it is mapped to a java class that
derived from java.lang.Exception (checked exception)

Kelven