On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 08:22:43PM +0200, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> That would work, but I don't like how this leaves us with a vfs function
> that updates i_size without bothering to dirty the inode very much.

This isn't a VFS function, it is a helper library.

> How about if we move the __generic_write_end call into the page_done
> callback and leave special handling to the filesystem code if needed
> instead?  The below patch seems to work for gfs2.

That seems way more complicated.  I'd much rather go with something
like may patch plus maybe a big fat comment explaining that persisting
the size update is the file systems job.  Note that a lot of the modern
file systems don't use the VFS inode tracking for that, besides XFS
that includes at least btrfs and ocfs2 as well.