Hello Clutter Team

For the performance analysis I was looking at how much memory and cahce is used
by a  simple application like test-depth and another application which loads
200 photos and scroll through them.

I used the following way to obtain the cache and memory used .
1)First I did a ps-el
There was only one clutter thread listed and that was the clutter application
thread  (from previous post it was mentioned that clutter is not internally
threaded , ie by default there is only 1 thread which is clutter application
thread)
To find more information like memory used by the process I used
cat /proc/<pid>

/proc/8115/attr/    /proc/8115/cmdline  /proc/8115/environ  /proc/8115/fd/
/proc/8115/mem      /proc/8115/mounts   /proc/8115/root/    /proc/8115/statm
/proc/8115/task/
/proc/8115/auxv     /proc/8115/cwd/     /proc/8115/exe      /proc/8115/maps
/proc/8115/memmap   /proc/8115/nodemap  /proc/8115/stat     /proc/8115/status
/proc/8115/wchan

However I could not find the memory used by that process alone ??

2)So I used this method took total system memory analysis before application
ran and during application running and then got the difference

a)
Before the application  ran I used
/proc/meminfo
Output was
MemTotal:       255580 kB
MemFree:        184816 kB
Buffers:          4712 kB
Cached:          56124 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          37968 kB
Inactive:        25540 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       255580 kB
LowFree:        184816 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:               8 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:           8036 kB
Slab:             5704 kB
CommitLimit:    127788 kB
Committed_AS:    69516 kB
PageTables:        216 kB
VmallocTotal:   237548 kB
VmallocUsed:       672 kB
VmallocChunk:   236768 kB

During the time the  application runs I used
b)
/proc/meminfo
Output was
MemTotal:       255580 kB
MemFree:        182944 kB
Buffers:          4744 kB
Cached:          56124 kB
SwapCached:          0 kB
Active:          39880 kB
Inactive:        25556 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:       255580 kB
LowFree:        182944 kB
SwapTotal:           0 kB
SwapFree:            0 kB
Dirty:              60 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:          11692 kB
Slab:             5740 kB
CommitLimit:    127788 kB
Committed_AS:    71724 kB
PageTables:        244 kB
VmallocTotal:   237548 kB
VmallocUsed:       672 kB
VmallocChunk:   236768 kB

Since the /proc/meminfo gives the total memory used by all processes I ran 2a)
and 2b)  three times to get a proper result

>From the difference I got
-----------------
RAM Memory used - 1872 kB (184816 -182944)
Cache Memory used - 0 kB
(The above result is for test-depth example where only a single image is loaded)

Similarly for an application which scrolls 200 photos I got
RAM Memory used –  25232 kB  (184816 -159584)
Cache Memory used - 0 kB

I have the following queries
1)Is this the right way to measure RAM and cache used by a clutter application
.If no then how can I measure it?
2)Why is it that the above process lists that no extra cache is used when
clutter application runs (Cache Memory used - 0 kB  ) since for 200 photos
scrolling if it runs slowly for the first time and then if it runs quickly for
subsequent executions definitely cache memory has to be used so that
application runs faster the subsequent times ,but from above analysis it says
no extra cache is used ?
3)Other than caching does clutter make us of any other methods for performance
improvements?

Regards
Dilip

 Best Jokes, Best Friends, Best Food. Get all this and more on  Best of Yahoo!
Groups.