On 21.04.2012 13:24, David Cole wrote:

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Peter Kümmel <syntheti...@gmx.net
<mailto:syntheti...@gmx.net>> wrote:

    On 19.04.2012 16:21, Bill Hoffman wrote:

        On 4/19/2012 4:16 AM, Nicolas Desprès wrote:

            That's possible indeed. There are discussions whether to support all
            compilers deps file formats inside Ninja or in another program (see
            the deplist branch and discussion thread). The deplist branch is an
            attempt to provide a common format to store the dependencies in a
            fast-to-parse format.

            Currently, it is not merged yet and Ninja still relies on its own
            parser which is probably not bug free and does not have all the
            work-around required for all compilers versions.

        So, should I post this issue on the ninja list?

        I am also wondering if we could create a cmake depend generator for
        ninja.  Then if the compiler did not support -M in a format that ninja
        likes, it could fall back to the cmake version.

    Does this mean cmake could preprocess C/C++ files and detect all #includes
    while using the search paths which are also passed to the compiler?

    Peter

Yes.

It does do that to generate the dependencies used for the Makefile generators.

It's imperfect, but close enough for most purposes.

Great! Is this the step which will be dropped when the /fast target is build?

Peter