On 07/11/2013 09:06 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Role 2 is probably more common.
>
> In cmake code you mean?

Yes.

> I imagine there are lots of bash scripts or aliases
> which invoke cmake with -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX (I use an alias).

Yes, and this makes role 1 even more common.  [smacks forehead]

> I think CMAKE_EXTERNAL_INSTALL_PREFIX would be a better name.

Assuming we don't go back to CMAKE_TARGET_INSTALL_PREFIX as a
replacement for role 2, let's identify the semantics of a new
variable for role 1 and then choose the name.  We can call it
CMAKE_EXTERNAL_INSTALL_PREFIX for purpose of discussion here
but I'm not satisfied by the name yet.

Based on the above forehead smack CMAKE_EXTERNAL_INSTALL_PREFIX
will have to be at most optional, similar to DESTDIR but able
to replace CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX rather than just prepend to it.
Currently the cmake_install.cmake scripts are generated with the
default CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX from CMake configuration time.
Is this as simple as changing that default to be based on the
new variable but still calling it CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX in the
install scripts?  Basically anywhere that prepends DESTDIR can
be potentially influenced by the new variable.

> I'd prefer the ability to make CMAKE_HOST_INSTALL_PREFIX mean 'the location
> to install host tools when doing a HOST+TARGET build' in the future.

Yes, that meaning for CMAKE_HOST_INSTALL_PREFIX would be even more
consistent with the CMAKE_HOST_* convention for cross-compiling.
We can reserve the name for that future purpose.