I just realized that CTest only prioritized failed tests in parallel test runs since it only modified COSTs in that case. So Casey was quite right noticing that there is a behavior change here.

I created a topic "restore-serial-failed-test-order" which limits that behavior to parallel test runs.
Should anyone prefer that behavior I could merge it to next.

Pro/con the current behavior in next:
+ Consistent sorting for serial and parallel test runs
- There may be users who expect a fixed order of tests in serial runs
- There may be tests in CMake that expect a fixed order of tests in serial runs(?) + When bug fixing or implementing (in case of TDD) the previously failed tests are those that a user is waiting for the most so it may make sense to have them run first (I assume that is why it was implemented for parallel testing)

Nils