On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 18:53:48 -0800, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> I'm following up on this recent thread:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/9324/focus=9330
>
> Unfortunately, most of what was discussed there appears to involve advanced
> CMake knowledge that I don't have.  Would it be possible for someone to
> look at the llvm/clang build and make some specific recommendations,
> perhaps suggesting a procedure I could follow to winnow out the excess
> dependencies?

My usual process for this is to start with no linked libraries then add
them in as needed. Detecting this involves writing a little tool which
dlopen's all built shared libraries with RTLD_NOW and failing if symbols
are missing. I have test cases which are automatically added for each
shared library my builds generate to ensure that new dependencies are
always satisfied.

For a less time-intensive process, the --print-gc-sections and
--gc-sections linker options may be of help.

The --strip-unneeded option to strip(1) may help, but I doubt it. Maybe
you could diff the nm -C output between the old and new libraries to see
if any libraries were dropped?

This[1] PDF states that ldd -u can help as well (but only shows unused
direct dependencies). There is also a libaudit.so available on github
which apparently can help as well (see the PDF for the URL and how to
use it).

For OS X, it appears[2] there is a -dead_strip_dylibs option which
removes links to libraries which supply no used symbols. I don't know if
it tells you when that happens.

--Ben

[1]http://elinux.org/images/6/6c/Elc2011_sankar.pdf
[2]https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6687630/c-c-gcc-ld-remove-unused-symbols