> >> Let's use a name specific to WindowsCE like "CMAKE_VS_WINCE_SDK",
> >
> > I'm not sure this is really Windows CE specific. There is already
> > an internal variable CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_NAME that is set to Win32,
> > Win64, ARM etc. This is also the variable that gets set to the SDK
> > name. Currently this variable is set based on the Generator used,
> > but there is also some other magic going on for example for Itanium.
>
> The fact that the PlatformName corresponds to an SDK is specific to
> WinCE tools.  Other platforms may not have such correspondence.
> This is why I want to use a WinCE-specific name at first.  We can
> generalize the name before merging the changes if it makes sense
> when its role becomes clear.

Ok I understand your reasoning, makes sense.

> > Would it be desirable to be able to override this value independent
> > of the generator used?
>
> I'm not sure what this would mean because the value is for a
> specific field in VS project files.

What I meant is that is you use the generator "Visual Studio 12 (2013) ARM" but
set the CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_NAME="Win64"
It would compile for Win64 not arm (like calling "Visual Studio 12 (2013)
Win64"), so we just override it with whatever the user provides.

> > Based on your explanation and my findings above, the
> > CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_NAME variable should behave analogues to
> > CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_TOOLSET but I can't come up with a good
> > name for a variable the user should set.
>
> Yes.  What I'm saying is the fact that a user can select this
> at all might be WinCE-specific.  Hence a WinCE-specific name.

For my first attempt I will just stick with allowing the user overriding
CMAKE_VS_PLATFORM_NAME.

Pascal