Hi Domen, Brad and CMake developers,

I am trying to create my packages in Launchpad, which uses a pbuilder environment for building the packages, directly using CMake>=3.3 (which contains the nice recent fixes).

I got the following error when I execute the build of a source package from pbuilder:

------------
CPack Error: /build/cmake-AHTLnO/cmake-3.3travisci1/Source/CPack/cmCPackDebGenerator.cxx:483 Problem running tar command: /usr/bin/fakeroot "/usr/bin/cmake" -E tar czf data.tar.gz Please check /«BUILDDIR»/build_dir/_CPack_Packages/Linux/DEB/Deb.log for errors
------------

The full logs for the curious ppl may be found here:
https://launchpadlibrarian.net/215456337/buildlog_ubuntu-trusty-amd64.yayi_0.8.8.1_BUILDING.txt.gz

Basically in my case, the debian/rule file calls cmake and cpack to generate the deb packages. pbuilder mimics a clean build environment that is used on Launchpad for isolating the build, and I believe (not sure) it calls fakeroot under the hood.

To my understanding fakeroot is a "workaround" to have the proper credentials in the tar of the .deb packages since the libarchive used in cmake was not allowing that at that time:

- http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11766
- http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=13118
- http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=12901

I am wondering if, instead of always using fakeroot:
- there is now the possibility to set the user in libarchive (even if it is the case, this would mean that cmake -E tar is able to understand those options) - if we can get rid of the fakeroot in some circumstances? eg. a variable that would avoid using the fakeroot or detecting that the user is already root - unifying the tool used for creating the tar: from the code in cmCPackDebGenerator.cxx, some compression schemes use the native tar while some others use the cmake tar.

What would be the best option for you?

I believe it would address this issues already in the backlog (and help ppl deploy things on Launchpad with cmake):
- http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=13700
- http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=11766

Thanks for your feedbacks,
Best,